Monday 23 October 2017

Pedagogic League 2016/17

D-Day!

It was team's selection day for the inaugural football tournament which kick-started the football season. There were over 400 people present, scattered all over the field. It was quite a sight. Frightening, but yet highly amusing and even more exciting.

I had a sick feeling in my stomach about these selections, as in, I felt I was not going to get picked, I would get a bad team or something negative was about to happen. Little did I know what lay ahead.

So the way the Pedagogic League worked was that its main objective was to give every single Christite a chance to showcase their abilities in front of everyone. That meant that everyone who wanted to kick a football or wanted to try their luck at the beautiful game was now given a platform. The Pedagogic league covered every sport played in Christ University.

Classic

We were made to stand according to our positions and the senior most players of the college were made team captains. They had to assemble a team of 18 from a pool of 400. Of these 400, they would have played with a maximum of 50 new faces because as you're a senior, you don't turn up for practice regularly. This is where my entire Christ life took a huge leap forward. 

His name was Jana. To date, the most influential person in my life as a Christite. I was lucky enough to have played with him once prior to the squad selections. There were a total of 21 team captains and Jana was given the pick number 16 through a random draw. All his first, second, third...., tenth choices were taken before he got make his first pick. I remember his face clearly, filled with utter disgust that this unfairness was being served upon him. He didn't know what to do and this was when he looked up and I caught his eye. And in that split second, I knew I was going to be his first pick. Although lucky, that he didn't have anyone else to pick, I was still named Jana's first choice.
He called out "Ankit!", I turned around to see if he was actually referring to me when he followed up, "Yes! YOU!" 
'Wow', I thought to myself, first pick. Not bad. This was the first time I spoke to the best captain i have ever played under, and I highly doubt I will encounter any other who will help me push myself to the limits he did. 

He started picking players when he turned to me and asked me if I knew any. Now I wanted all my best buds to play with me, that's when I made him select Tushy, Aaditya and Karan C. What followed was the making of history. 

Our team comprised of 16 players, 13 first years(what), two fourth years and one fifth-year Jana. We were already written off by everyone for being too young a squad, too inexperienced, too short, too small, too weak and God knows what not. But that's the thing, never write off anyone with a goal. 

Jana gave us the name of the Night's Watch, and the first day of the tournament was when our watch commenced.

We opted to play a 4-2-3-1 formation. Our goalkeeper, Vidit, who I was not really sure of in the beginning really proved me wrong. Vidit, who I feel is completely insane, put his life on the line for the ball and you can't ask for more from your keeper. Our defence, marshalled by two really tall and physically imposing centre-backs, Yashu and Aniket, both of whom played some really attractive and great football, putting their body on their line when needed, heading, fouling, clearing, you name it. Tremendous.

Our left back was Tushar, and I think this is where he really showed the world what he was capable of. 24x7 support, a never say die attitude and love for the game made us fall in love with this beautiful and elegant left back. Our right back was Sagar, not that gifted a player, but he is not someone you can outwork, always a hundred percent effort. Sometimes more.

The two centre defensive midfielders were Karan G and me. This partnership proved to be one of the best things that have ever happened to me on a football pitch. I have never come across another player who I can trust with protecting the back four, apart from myself. Karan was not a Messiesque player, not God gifted, but completely self-made. I really respect that man's work ethic on the pitch, something I think everyone should earn from.

The three attacking midfielders comprised of Jana, Varun and Hardik or Arvind. Varun was this really quick and offensive winger who made marauding run after marauding run. Tormenting every defence he was fielded against. Hardik and Arvind kept alternating but always tried to gain a stronghold over the right wing. They were not able to score many, but they were always there for support, constantly running, putting tackles in, covering for the rest. Sir Jana, elegant as always, led by example. He always put in a 110%, without fail. Up, down, sideways, he would run. Our captain Jana, he did this for fun. Together, the three of us, Karan, Jana and myself formed something I would go on to call the 'Holy Trinity' because if you play against three of us, I will personally guarantee it that you will not be noticed on the pitch.
Our striker, Mayank, a healthy, strong and extremely clinical striker was always there at the right time and the right places. He and I developed an instant connection which reaped dividends for the team. 

Matchday 1. 3-0. Right off the bat, we battered the opposition. Completely annihilated them, we outplayed them, outworked them and outclassed them. Mayank got off the mark instantly, so did Karan G and Varun. I was able to rack up two assists and that collective team effort set the tone for the entire tournament. 

Matchday 2. 4-0. We were cruising, the squad was gelling and a real family feel had started to generate all around. Everyone got to know each other, we started liking each other as people and that started to show on the pitch. We were really combining, making really good plays, long balls, short ones, quick one two's. You name it, we did it. Mayank was on the score-sheet again, so was Varun and this started to look like a competition within the team. Jana was able to get off the mark as well. Everything was going well.

From L to R- Karan C, Myself, Karan G and Tushar.

Matchday 3. 2-0. I think we got slightly complacent before this match due to our sky-high confidence. We were predicting the scorelines to be moving in arithmetic progression and we should win the game 5-0 but regardless, we still dominated the game and bossed the entire pitch. 

We had by now already cleared the group stages by topping our group and had a massive goal difference of +9, averaging three goals a match which is by no means any bad. The knockout stages followed, and this was when the real test began. 

Matchday 4. Quarter Finals. 1-0. We won the game. But this was by far our toughest game we faced as a team. We were really tested, physically but all the more mentally. The match was played against a team comprising a majority of the key Christ Law School players, players who really knew how to play the sport very well. It was tough, but as the famous saying goes, 'Champions Always Find A Way', we did too.

Matchday 5. Semi-Finals. 2-0. I think by this time we were starting to turn a lot of heads with the quality of our football. And we were also making a name for ourselves. I remember  many people coming up to me and appreciating my game and my many assists. It reached a stage where I'm sure that we had instilled some sort of fear into our oppositions heads before the semis. That fear led to their downfall and our rise to the final of the pedagogic league. I recall very vividly how we had this insane combination of play which ended with an impeccable finish from Varun. Karan won the ball on the right side of the midfield, he played the ball to our captain Jana who turned a player and played the ball into space to me. This was one of the first times I was given the license to play offensive football. I played a slick through ball to Mayank who fed it to Varun on the wing. And what followed was the destruction of the opposition by this one guy. Varun showed the Messi side to his game by beating 3 players and smacking a finish into the far bottom corner. 

We were ready for the final. Vidit and co had managed to keep a clean sheet throughout the tournament, our strike force was able to rack up 12 goals so far. We were by far the best team to have graced the pitch this tournament. It was ours, it was destined to be, it had to be. There was no other choice. I was not going to my godforsaken hostel without a gold, nor were any of my teammates.

Matchday 6. The Final. We were playing the team whose captain had won the Pedagogic last season, and this match proved to test us a team. As soon as the game started, I dribbled two players and saw Karan making a darting run through the centre of the pitch. We clicked, again. Instantly, I played a ground through ball to him and he was in on goal. He decided to place it, and he did just that. But this time, surprisingly, it didn't go in. It hit the post and there was an instant counter attack. That really shook us, but what shook us, even more, was when we conceded. We had actually conceded a goal. A midfield that was rock solid, an impregnable defence, and an in-form goalkeeper, all beaten by one slick move. We were shattered, we didn't know how to react because we hadn't conceded a single goal throughout the tournament. Our game died down, it was all Adi Menon and his squad, battering us and us holding on for dear life. We went into halftime, Jana made sure everyone kept quiet. The speech he then made, gave me shivers. I can't describe how it was because that's how special it was. We walked back onto the pitch with the confidence and belief that we could do this. We slowly grew into the game, we started to click and apply immense pressure when from nowhere Jana got knocked out. Someone whacked him on the chest, completely winded, he lay there with our whole team around him. He could have easily sat out the rest of the match, but that's what a captain does, he puts his team above himself. He came back on a good five minutes later, labouring but still a 100% effort.
It was the last few minutes of the match, we received a free kick around half line. I told Jana, "Go in, get a touch, the ball will reach." The ball I pinged in turned out to be the most important pass of my Christ life. Karan or Yashu got a head to it and the ball landed in front of Mayank who made no mistake and smacked it into the roof of the net. Boom! The crowd erupted! We erupted! Nobody could contain their excitement! Our whole team went bonkers! Complete and utter madness! 
We got ourselves together and played out the draw. It went to penalties. And there was no way we were letting this go now. I scored one, so did Mayank, Varun. And you know who finished it off for the fairytale. Jana. Captain fantastic. Cometh the moment, cometh the man.

Champions!
 
And  that was that. We did it.We overcame all odds. We showed the world how no one can be written off. No matter how small you are. No matter how inexperienced, how short or how weak you are, if you put your mind to something, completely and truly believe in it and honestly work towards it. There is absolutely nobody who can stop you from winning what you deserve. 

This is a testament, to the belief that we showed as a team. To the love we displayed for each other, backing each other up, supporting each other when needed and mostly, our love for the beautiful game of football. 

This remains to be, and I think will always remain to be my greatest and fondest memory on a football pitch.

A big thank you to my captain Jana and his trademark "CLAP FOR YOURSELVES!" after every match we won, to Karan G for showing me that there is another player out there on the same wavelength as me and to my fellow Nightswatch teammates who I can gladly call my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment